
We spent our last full day at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. It's a great little place about 45 minutes North of where my brother lives. Even though we had gone to a koala sanctuary where we first arrived in Sydney, it was no where as nice as Lone Pine. For example, at the koala park in Sydney when we bought kangaroo food it was a baggie of honey nut cheerios, seriously. I felt bad feeding the kangaroos the cheerios, since obviously it isn't part of their natural diet. And worse, because everyone pets the roos while feeding them, a large proportion of the roos in Sydney had cheerios stuck to their mangy fur. Not the best experience. However, Lone Pine was really an incredible place, the animals were really well taken care of, and it looked like the staff really cared about their welfare. This is one of the senior koalas, the look on his face is priceless, just kicking back chewing on a gum leaf.

Here we are feeding the kangaroos. And what do you know, it was kangaroo chow. I felt much better feeding them this time. Can you see the baby
Chihuahua joey?

They also had lorikeet feeding. The lorikeets obviously know when the feeding times are; there were hundreds of them. There was no way to avoid them; I think Mitch got a little freaked out at one point. They also had a great Birds of Prey show. The birds flew right over our heads, and at one point one of the bird's wings even tipped Don's head. Don's loves this photo, I have to agree it's awesome.


They even had a demonstration with sheep and Border Collies. I really enjoyed it, but Mitch got bored pretty quickly. I think he would have preferred to run around with the dogs.

We found out that there was a 90 minute boat trip from the Sanctuary to the CBD, so we took that option at the last minute.

It was a great end to the trip, just a relaxing boat trip down the river. We met another couple visiting from San Francisco, she was American and he was Australian. We had a nice chat on the way back. Overall, just another great day in Brisbane... and a wonderful end to our trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment