I was shopping at Peters Meats the other day, the butcher right outside our Woolies. Not to get off the topic, but I really enjoy shopping here. Woolies has everything you need, but the grocery stores in malls are usually flanked by butchers, bakers, candlestick makers...along with chicken, cheese, specialty delis and pastry shops. One of my dream days would be to browse around all the specialty ships and hand pick my groceries ( what can I say, I'm easy to please). Whereas my typical shopping trips usually resemble something closer to say, an episode of Supermarket Sweep. But, back to the butcher... While deciding if we were going to have t-Bone steaks or fillets (which rhyme with "millets" here), my eyes caught a plate of little round lumps of meat, tied up with rosemary labeled, "Baby Lamb Rumps". I was amused. I mean, really, is it necessary to make people feel any worse for eating lamb? For God's sake, lamb = baby, right? Well, as far as lamb is concerned, there is apparently a whole hierarchy of baby-ness. After doing some research I found out that standard Lamb is anything less than a year old, usually around eight months. Then you have Spring Lamb, which is slaughtered at five months. Baby Lamb is just four to six weeks old when it meets its maker. And just when I thought that was as sad as it gets, I discovered that Hothouse Lamb is slaughtered at two to four weeks old, after being raised entirely on mother's milk.
Just writing that is depressing.
I read FastFood Nation in 2001. Or maybe it was 2002. I bought it in an airport during a business trip, and I had a hard time putting it down. After reading it I went on a serious organic beef and chicken kick for about two years. I remember visiting Don's uncle in Oregon that Summer and he told us stories about cows going to auction and the farmers putting cement in the feed to weigh them down. I stayed the path, but after a few years I slipped and started buying chicken sandwiches at Carls Jr, then a burger at Mortons, and then it all went to Hell. Eating out certainly became easier, and my pocketbook appreciated the savings. In fact, I never really thought much about meat at all until last week. I really have no idea what bothered me so much about the lamb. To be perfectly honest, I don't even really like lamb (Which is almost blasphemous to admit here). Maybe because buying meat is usually so removed. You order a pound of something and there it is. And seeing this really made me envision where the lamb came from. I mean, I love a good steak as much as any other self proclaimed carnivore. But at six weeks, shouldn't a lamb be kicking it's heels up in the pasture and nibbling on dandelions? I know this post is all over the place. It's been a long week....and it's only Tuesday.
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh Ana, I know exactly what you mean. I TOTALLY relate to this post. I don't eat lamb... yes, I know... and I've been here 6 years. :-) But I don't eat it for the reasons in your post. I have had it on one or two occasions when the dinner host offered nothing but lamb, but I didn't even like it. I have a very hard time eating beef because I love cows so much. I draw the line at veal. No go for me personally. I could happily live off of chicken for the rest of my life and be happy... but isn't that just as bad? Isn't one life just as important as another? I struggle with this ALL the time. I go through phases where I don't eat meat at all. And I'm happy. But I'm not sure I can commit to being a vegetarian forever. I want to though. Anyway I'm making this comment all about me. But I just really wanted to say that you wrote a great post and it is something I too think about often. I think everyone should think of where their food comes from.
Food for thought?
That's so sad about the baby lambies! You've just pushed me one step closer to vegetarianism. Oh - and I like how the shopping is organized here too (with all the little specialty shops outside of the Coles or Woolies). Very convenient for picking up some quality fruits/veg/meats before or after the grocery shopping.
Erin - It sounds like you and I are on the same exact mindset. This post was actually a lot longer where I went into hothouse lamb versus beef versus chicken versus fish, and what makes one better than the other, or one life more valued. Living off the land versus farming animals for consumption, etc. Thanks for adding to this, I totally agree and am actually considering a major change in lifestyle. I'd say baby steps, but really, if it's a change due to some epiphany like this, then how do I keep making a conscious choice to still buy into it? My head hurts :)
Ana,
Your oldest brother-in-law who will remain nameless in cyberspace....visited Ireland with Frank and me in the late 1980s. We walked by a butcher shop (aka victaler (sp???) in Ireland) and their were whole carcasses hanging in the window by their heels (or fetlocks if that what sheep have). One had had a large chunk taken from the middle for a roast, so that it hung there looking like someone had removed a nice neat square to box up for a gift. He was stunned. I don't think he had ever thought about where a roast came from. This is the same guy who thought chickens were born in plastic wrap. I try not to think about it. But I too, am not fond of lamb and would only eat it if it was presented at meal where I was a guest. Love Mom
Post a Comment