Today is Boxing day in Australia. While talking to my friend Becky this morning I offhandedly mentioned I really didn't know what it was, She explained it to me, then kindly forwarded this link (apparently I'm not the only one who loves Wiki). My brother in law David further
About the time we finished our sandwiches, the last of the ships sailed by. And then they were gone. A few minutes later everyone headed out. You've got to be kidding me. I hoofed it two miles in flip flops carrying a cooler and a tired five year old for a fifteen minute race? But yes - that was it. We gathered everything, climbed a quarter mile up the hill, then another two miles back to the car with hundreds of others and drove home. I might do it again, but only if I was with a group of friends and we were tailgating in the parking lot before and after. I'm glad we did it, but it felt a little anticlimactic. By the way, in case anyone sees the photo above and thinks, "what is she talking about, that looks like a lovely grassy area to watch boats sail by". That was actually the place we flopped for a rest on the walk back. It was someone's front lawn and we didn't even care - an indication of how hot and tired we were.
Ultimately I've decided that I don't care for Boxing Day. Not that I don't think it's a wonderful idea, giving to those less fortunate. But I really don't need the entire freakin' country to shut down for the entire day. While living in the States I was used to pretty much everything shutting down for Christmas. But here, it shuts down mid day Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and then the 26th - Boxing Day. And I mean shut down. No gas stations, limited hours for one grocery chain, no restaurants, nothing. Apparently for the last few years, two chain stores David Jones and Myers actually received permission from the government to open their doors for Boxing Day. That's fantastic news if I'm looking for a skirt or a pair of heels, but it isn't really helpful if what I need is a tank of gas and a half gallon of milk. After returning from the race we decided to barbecue. It was 4:00 when I drove to the grocery store; the parking lot was a ghost town. They were open from 10-3. Commercialism (or is it capitalism?) does have its advantages.
2 comments:
Yeah, there's a big difference between some store closings for holidays in the U.S. and the complete SHUT DOWN in Australia.
At least in the States I knew there would be at least one grocery store open limited hours; here nothing.
Post a Comment